Caroline Stone D.O.(Hons), MSc(Ost), Med MClinEd
IN PERSON PRACTICAL COURSE (INCLUDES VIDEOS OF BABIES AND TECHNIQUES, AND TOY DOLLS FOR PRACTICAL ORIENTATION).
WANTAGE – JULY 17-18, 2021. PPE REQUIRED. 2-6PM SAT, AND 9-5PM SUN.
PAEDIATRIC ASSESSMENT ROUTINES:
THEME – PERINATAL DEVELOPMENT, TRANSITION AND INDEPENDENCE, AND THE ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF SUCK, SWALLOW AND BREATHE, MOVEMENT AND EARLY REFLEXES, BONES, DYNAMIC CRANIUM DYNAMICS, PLAGIO, TORTICOLIS, MOVEMENT DISORDERS, MYOFASCIAL AND VISCERAL CONSIDERATIONS, – OSTEOPATHIC APPROACHES TO CARE.
• Birth strain, dynamics of the cranium, intraosseous development, strain and innervation, spinal-trigeminal system and links to early infant care and function, non IVM approach to venous sinuses, CSF, glymphatics, dural dynamics and global body orientation to the midline.
• Developmental anatomy of the face, head and coelum – how do we fit together? Movement, and impact on posture, shape, plagio, torticolis and hip issues.
• Intrauterine development and legacies - on being born.
• Establishing independence and co-regulation – maternal and infant interaction
• Maternal dynamics for feeding
• Interconnections between gut and lungs – myofascial, microbiome and neural connections, impact on autonomic stability
• The circulatory system – just what happens in circulation and what does this have to do with feeding?
• Suck, swallow, breathe – what is this - rhythms and oscillations in infant feeding.
• The anatomy of suck – head, neck, throat dynamics – function and assessment
• The anatomy of swallow – mediastinal, diaphragmatic, visceral and abdominal issues – function and assessment
• Neural interfaces – how does it all work?
• Sensory motor interactions – communication, feedback and complexity
• Primitive reflexes – function and assessment
• Confounding factors such as pain, arousal and dysautonomia
• Summary – what can we do to support the infants in their early life? Assessment, management and monitoring.
THERE IS A HUGE ONLINE CPD PROGRAMME TAHT SUPPORTS ALL THIS THEORY - THERE IS A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF INFORMATION BACKING UP THIS PRACTICAL COURSE, ANDYOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO TAKE THE ONLINE OPTION TO INTEGRATE YOUR CLINICAL APPROACHES. This can be purchased separately on osteobitesize.com